British Wrestlers Reunion
Strengthening the Ring of Friendship

'

Forums Corner

Forum Home > British Wrestling through the ages > What was the best match you ever saw

ken sowden
Administrator

I am sure like me most of you reading this have seen your fair share of live and televised matches but which ones stood out for you, what made it that little big extra special that you went away thinking wow that was a great match, lets have your comments and lets remember the great matches of yesteryear, I bet some of you saw some strange match ups which turned out to be a thrilling contest. 

July 20, 2013 at 6:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER

Plenty of good matches but the first TV match that I remember well was Mike Bennet against the Spainard Castella for the TV trophy.Subseqently saw Mike fight live many times and was always impressive

July 21, 2013 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Timothy

I will never forget the time when an eighteen year old Dynamite Kid beat Jimmy Breaks for the British Welterweight title. The match was a combination of skill and brutality. Awesome stuff - but as far as I know, not on tape or DVD. For hype, the standout match of the golden era was when Big Daddy beat Mighty John Quinn at Wembley in 1979. This can still be seen on Youtube. Wrestling in the UK never reached those heights before or since.

July 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ken sowden
Administrator

Thats for your post Tim.  The match you are referring to can be brought from British Wrestling Dvds. Obviously, this match was before Dynamite went to Canada and muscled up.  The Daddy/Quinn match had one of the best atmospheres that I have ever seen for a wrestling match.  Peter, I remmeber Marvellous Mike Bennett, always a good professional and unfortunately never got the push he rightly deserved.

July 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan Hinder

Dynamite Kid v Rollerball Rocco, the one where Kid launched a flying headbutt from the top of the corner post. This bout was so fast paced and high flying, something the British grapple fans had never seen before. Also a shout out for Kendo's back chop which felled Daddy and he got the the only pin required to win the bout :lol:

July 23, 2013 at 2:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Duncan Kane

Not on TV, but the best match I ever saw was Billy Robinson against Albert Wall at Hamilton Town Hall c1970. Both men worked incredibly hard for a couple of rounds of strength holds before opening up a bit in the third. Billy slung Albert at the ropes and Albert produced his trademark flying headbutt to catch Billy's forehead fair and square as he stood in the centre of the ring. What a crack it was! Billy struggled up at 9 (and a half), only to be slammed and pinned by Albert. Surprisingly, for everyone there, Billy managed to start the fourth round but spent most of it just trying to fend Albert off. Then he sent Albert to the ropes again but was ready this time for the headbutt. As Albert flew towards him, Billy managed to lean sideways and divert his flight path with an almighty blow to the side of the neck, sending him towards the corner. Albert failed to beat the count. Seen and heard up close, it was an amazing spectacle performed by two men who really earned their wages, along with their sore heads! Great stuff, although it might have looked a bit flat if televised.

September 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

grahambrook

One of the first wrestlers I saw live was Billy Robinson. I forget the year although it must have been around the mid-sixties and it was a TV recording at Prestatyn Holiday Camp in North Wales (owned by British Rail at the time). Robinson fought Gwyn Davies and won with a piledriver knockout. I recall seeing Robinson wrestle again when I went to visit cousins in America in the early seventies. Again, a tremendous bout. It was an AWA show held at Milwaukee Auditorium and Robinson fought Black Jack Lanza who was managed by Bobby Heenan. Finally, Max Crabtree brought Robinson over for a few shows towards the end of the seventies and he wrestled a sterling contest with Pat Roach at Belle Vue, Manchester. All three were outstanding contests and I wish I had been able to see him wrestle more.

--
September 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

woodzie

the best one i remember seeing was a promotion in slough fulcrum theatre in around 1984 between rollerball rocco and johnny kincaid.- BLOODBATH!! - They really didnt like each other!!

--
October 7, 2013 at 4:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

wrassler

Have to agree that the Big Daddy vs Mighty John Quinn matchup was truly atmospheric.

Wayne Bridges beating Spiros Arion for the 'World' title sticks in my memory also

--

What could be better than walking down any street in any city and knowing you're the heavyweight champion of the world?
Rocky Marciano

October 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

failds

The best bout was when my wife and I saw Rocco vs Fit Finlay at Leicester De Montford Hall, tremendous action. I also remember seeing John Cortez vs Kieth Hayward at Belper Sports Centre in which both men demonstrated a tremendous array of skills.

October 31, 2013 at 3:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.