British Wrestlers Reunion
Strengthening the Ring of Friendship

'

Forums Corner

Forum Home > British Wrestling through the ages > Who was your favourite referee

ken sowden
Administrator

Whenever you go to a live wrestling event it is all about the two men (or 4 if its a tag match) in the ring but what about the unfortunate referee, the man who has to keep everything in order.  There have been some great referees over the years from Max Ward, Lou Marco, Tiny Carr, Jeff Kaye, Ken Lazenby to name but a few but who were your favourtite referees and what made them so special for you ??? 

July 20, 2013 at 6:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MIKE WAKELY

i liked john harris he taught me how to ref

July 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Fletcher

ken sowden at July 20, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Whenever you go to a live wrestling event it is all about the two men (or 4 if its a tag match) in the ring but what about the unfortunate referee, the man who has to keep everything in order.  There have been some great referees over the years from Max Ward, Lou Marco, Tiny Carr, Jeff Kaye, Ken Lazenby to name but a few but who were your favourtite referees and what made them so special for you ??? 

Alf Kent who was the resident ref at The Atlas in Stetchford Birmingham in the late 50's and early 60's, as great an entertainer as the wrestlers. 

July 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Fletcher

Dave Fletcher at July 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Alf Kent who was the resident ref at The Atlas in Stetchford Birmingham in the late 50's and early 60's, as great an entertainer as the wrestlers. 

Sorry nearly forgot another favourite of mine the great "Martin Chopper Conroy"

July 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

tony williams/ryan

Dave Fletcher at July 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Dave Fletcher at July 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Sorry nearly forgot another favourite of mine the great "Martin Chopper Conroy"

Any one remember Tiger Williams? he worked for most of the promoters ie Max and Brian Crabtree Cyral Knowells Relwyco+Green Brian Dixon to name a few

--

Tony Ryan/Williams

July 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Gamble

In Liverpool we used to have Len Ross.

August 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken Sowden
Site Owner

Tony, Tiger Willaims (or Ken to give him his proper name) did indeed work for Cyril Knowles and was a good friend of Al Marshall who is a regular contributor to these pages.  Tiger Williams has two sons who are still both involved in the wrestling business. 

August 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Christie

The Famous Referee's for many years on ITV Sport with Professional Wrestling from 1955-88.

1 Max Ward

2 Lou Marco

3 Joe D'Orazio

4 Tony Mancelli

5 Brian Crabtree

6 Alan Colbeck

7 Ernie Baldwin

8 Tiny Carr

9 Bernard Murray

10 Peter Szackas

11 Dave Reese

12 Jeff Kaye

13 Ken Lazenby

14 Gordon Prior

15 Neil Sowden

16 Don Branch

17 Gordon Smith

18 Roger Brown

19 Stan Stone

20 Stan Rylands

The Great Famous Referees of Joint Promotions on ITV's World of Sport.

Terry Christie,From Sunderland,Tyne & Wear

August 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Smith

Anybody apart from Brian "the weasel" Craptree.

August 19, 2013 at 4:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dreadedpickles@yahoo.com

My earliest memories from the early 60's at West Ham Baths, were Tiny Carr, Lou Marco and Don Branch.

In later years, surely there was nobody to beat Max Ward for involvement, and the king of them all Joe D'Orazio.

August 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

grahambrook

My favourite referee was Joe Critchley. In fact, he was one of my favourite wrestlers as well as "Romeo" Joe Critchley walking to the ring in his gold shimmery cloak giving out daffodils to the ladies. Highspots in his bouts included his false teeth flying out into the front row and the final fall when his trunks would come down at the back allowing the audience to see his bottom. I put him on on several occasions against Harry Winstanley (Melvyn Riss) and Brian Dixon, who used him primarily as a referee (I've also seen Gordon Corbett use him as M.C. at Leicester's Granby Hall) also used to book him in drag as The Black Widow against his own missus Mizi Mueller. As a wrestler he grabbed the spotlight but, as a referee, he took a back seat and did not try the crowd-pleasing antics of a Crabtree. Basically, he did what was required whatever position he found himself in. A true pro!

--
September 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

wrassler

Have to say Max Ward, as he was so often the third man in the bouts i watched in my formative years on ITV.

--

What could be better than walking down any street in any city and knowing you're the heavyweight champion of the world?
Rocky Marciano

October 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

pattij

My favourite referee was Roy bull davis

October 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

chris hayes

In the early 1960s the favorite ref at the Victoria hall Halifax was Joe Hill closly followed by Ernest Baldwin and Bernard Murray.

November 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hedley

Steel McRee, Charlie Case were amongst my favourites.

--
November 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

derek parnell

Hi i am trying to trace steven harris me and my wife cath used to visit them in Gandia in spain, but since johns death we have lost contact with him. If anyone can help us out to where he is now living, we would be most grateful.derek and cath parnell.

--
December 28, 2013 at 5:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

derek parnell

Anyone know where steven Harris is living now.

December 28, 2013 at 5:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

wildman

I'm trying to remember 2 refferees names Ref turned wrestler with the gimmick The British Bushwacker, the other had the nickname Gollywog because of his hair.

December 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken Sowden
Site Owner

Derek, I am sorry we have no knowledge of Steven Harris but maybe one of our members knows his current whereabouts.  Wildman, the British Bushwhacker was Frank Casey who did indeed referee but we cannot recall the other one at the present time. 

December 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony

The two refs that stick in my mind in Salisbury  durring the 60-70's were Wax Ward and John Harris who also MC'ed

February 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.