British Wrestlers Reunion
Strengthening the Ring of Friendship

'

Forums Corner

Forum Home > British Wrestling through the ages > Introduce yourself to the forum

British Wrestlers Reunion
Site Owner
We now have 88 members and yet the forum seems to be pretty dead!  This topic is a simple way for all of you to introduce yourself and let everyone know what you do in the business be it promoter, wrestler, mc, referee or fan.
October 25, 2008 at 6:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John H

I'm John, I live near Leeds, West Yorkshire, used to be a regular attendee at Leeds Town Hall shows in the 70s and 80s, also occasionally visited presentations at St Georges Hall Bradford and Royal Hall, Harrogate,and,of course, regular viewer on World Of Sport.

Favourite wrestlers over the years include Danny Collins, Alan Dennison, Gwyn Davies and many others.

John H

October 26, 2008 at 2:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ann

Come on everyone where are you?

Hi I'm Ann from Leeds.

I  too went to all the halls that John mentioned so probably "met" at some time or other. Leeds Town Hall was our main stomping ground. I love anything to do with the late 60's and 70's wrestling. Still in touch with one or two of the lads who were local to Leeds area as well as a bit further afield. My faviourites have to be Dalbir Singh Gil, Ray Steele, and the Jet Set.

--

Ann

October 29, 2008 at 7:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rocker Richards

I'm Martin and have been wrestling for 6 years or so.  Have worked for lots of promotions around the UK including Dropkixx, Premier, All Star, WAW, AWA, BOBW, UWA and LDN Wrestling.  I also help run the wrestlers reunion and i run this website so any questions web related or news for the reunion just email me at wrestlersreunion@live.co.uk! Ann you should make your way to the reunion as you will see a lot of the guys there each year.

October 29, 2008 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommy the Ref

I'm Tommy and i'm from Belfast, Northern Ireland I have been a referee for a year now and have reffed for PWU and BCW in Northern Ireland, FFPW, CPW, NLW and NWA: Ireland in the Republic Of Ireland and PTW in England hope to get a lot more bookings in the future as its all I wanna do well thats mostly me really lol

October 30, 2008 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Power Trip Wrestling

I'm Peter (or Petey), from Luton, and I run Power Trip Wrestling, and also work as a heel manager. I managed to get out to the Reunion last year, and really enjoyed it. Tommy, who posted above, is my head referee at PTW.

--

Petey Staniforth

Power Trip Wrestling Promoter

www.powertripwrestling.co.uk

"I'm better than you.....because I'm from Luton!"

October 31, 2008 at 2:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian Dowland

Dowland is here as well.

I have supported British Wrestling since 1958, I do not support any one Promoter as I do like to get around and support as many different Promotions as possible, this way I get to see many different Wrestlers.

I do not watch Wrestling on TV or DVD as you do not get the atmosphere that you do at a 'live event', I love going to 'live events' and meeting other Fans/Wrestlers/Promoters/Officials.

November 1, 2008 at 11:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ray

I am Ray, 44, from N.W.London .... Have recently got into the 'World Of Sport' wrestling , on Sky ... I was at the 'Legends' Broxbourne, 2007, Front Row ! ... My local venues used to be 'Borehamwood', & Wembley ( Brent Town Hall' ) Unfortunatley, i NEVER went as a kid, what a shame i missed out ! .. I have only been to see Wrestling *once*, at The Royal Albert Hall, to see 'Giant Haystacks', I dont remember what year, as my dad took me ! 1980 maybe ???

November 4, 2008 at 2:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sumsdiva1

Hi, I'm Kay.  I'm a retired mathematics teacher from Banbury, Oxfordshire and as you can tell from the photo I am a fan of Wayne Bridges, who I finally got to meet at this year's reunion.  Back in the 70s I attended matches in Banbury, Aylesbury, Leamington Spa, Cheltenham and Bedworth.  Other favourites were the fantastic Mark Rocco and Sid Cooper.  I would love to speak to Sid and was very sad to hear he never attends the reunions.

November 6, 2008 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Superstar Wrestling

Hi guys,  I am the promoter of Superstar Wrestling, long time wrestling fan going back to the 80's. Love all styles of wrestling, away from the ring i am in football and cinema.

any questions drop me a line.

November 6, 2008 at 3:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim

Hi, I'm Tim. Live in the North East but from the south originally. As a kid I used to watch wrestling at the Brighton Dome every week with my parents. My favourites were Big Daddy & Banger Walsh (there's a difference lol).

Like most of the kids I collected the autographs in my programme after the evening, and still have these in my collection.

February 9, 2010 at 6:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken Sowden
Site Owner

Hi all you fans and promoters. We desperately want to get your posters ,pics and adverts for the young shows as well as news of our old pals from yesteryear, so please send anything you want postewd and remeber that you can post on the gallery pages direct, plus the guestbook chat page fpr messaging. We are also putting in a chat page facility.

February 11, 2010 at 4:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hedley

Hi everyone. My introduction to Wrestling was circa 1960 when Dale Martin used to promote in Taunton at the Burton place Drill Hall. Following that I used to attend at most of the Westcountry halls.  One of my favourites was the Civic Hall at Exeter where Dale Martin and Paul Lincoln promoted on alternate Thursdays.  Can anyone remember a referee at Exeter called Charlie Case. I never recall him being on TV. Certainly I remember Bobby Palmer being the MC on one bill where Charlie was the Ref.  Talking of refs. I can only remember Joe D arazio appearing down in our manor once and that was at Bridgwater.  Didwe say something to upset you Joe!!

February 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken Sowden
Site Owner

Did you know folks that the chat line is open and shows as a bar at the bottom of the site when you enter ? Hope you will all enjoy talking wrestling with the boys or other supporters Frank

February 27, 2010 at 2:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken Sowden
Site Owner

The chat line is now up and running. Just sign in on the right of bar below.

February 28, 2010 at 4:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

rik_sands@yahoo.com

:cool:Hi there guys I have just returned from 7 years in Cyprus and found the site when I asked Frank to get me in touch with The Killer Kowalski, which he did and I spent last Sunday having Sunday Roast with John and his Wife Mary. The Killer and I did loads of stuff together not only with me promoting Matches but in my Fabric Business. I had a shop at Southampton and another at Bognor, so JK would help me unload a ton and a half of material in say Waterlooville in a hall then I would sell it all day and come back once a month. We had some fun doing it as well, we were at Bognor in a church hall at Bersted and I found a rusty Racing bike behind the hall. I chucked in the van when we had loaded up and went his house in Cowplain. There I presented this bike to Killer's son Robert at 11 years old, he is now in the England Cycle Racing Team and has been to 2 Olympics so far and won the Silver in the World Championships, look out for Rob Hayles. Roy Mr Big Parkes got me started Wrestling as I used to teach 2 of his 7 kids Judo, I had 4 Judo Clubs in the Feltham Badfont area and one at Thames TV at Teddington for 9 years. Then I met Steve Veidor when he opened his pub The Valient Knight in Hampton Hill and used to look after it when him and Jenny went on hols. He then bought the F.B.I. Club that I had been on the Door for 3 years and worked the door for him for 5 years. Andre the Giant, Brian Maxine and lots of the lads would drop in on the way passed when they had finished a Show. I did some promoting mainly for Charities, we raised £1500 for the Falklands Fund, thats how long ago it was. We did a great one at The Star and Garter at Richmond hill where the injured servicemeb go. Steve Veidor was the captain of the London Team and The Killer Kowalski was captain of the South team. Harry Gibb the World famous Boxing Referee presented Steve with the belt, we raised £750 thats 30years ago. Love to get in touch with, Kinkers,Jim Martell, Reg Trood, Johnny Winters, Ray Luxford.all the best Rik Judo Sands.

March 10, 2010 at 7:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Allan Best

My early days were spent amongst pro-wrestlers,one of the the first bouts that I saw was Bert v's Doug Clarke.That was almost seventy years ago but still remembered. I came to respect the work that they put in and even had ideas of joining their ranks,but wiser heads made me see that it wasn't really for me..I did however have minor success in the amateur ranks and later did some coaching which gave me the idea that I might make a teacher,and I did.I taught wrestling under amateur rules as an after school club.The lads loved it.

Some success in teaching meant that I had to spend a lot of time tutoring teacher's courses and gradually I lost contact with the sport.

On retiring I contacted Bert Jacob,chairman of the BAWA who asked me if I would act as Editor of the Association's magazine.A job I did for some ten years.A change of direction in the BAWA constitution rendered me superfluous but I had by then gained a reputation for knowing wrestlers and wrestling and holding quite a substantial library of wrestling material ,both amateur and pro.Always on hand,via the computer,I was appointed official historian for the  now,BWA.

Many questions come from people interested in the pro game which are often easier to deal with as there is much more recorded than for the amateur game.

Last year I was awarded Honorary Life Membership of the British Wrestling Association,an award I hold as dear as if it were a knighthood,as only two people have been so honoured. 

The new site is excellent and always worth a look but there are too many getting changed in the dressing room in the sky for my liking.

--

March 14, 2010 at 1:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dennis Lord

My Name is Dennis Lord, Frank Rimmer has asked me to look after posts on Northern Wrestling.

I am based in the North East at sunny Whitley Bay, So if you have anything on Northern Wrestlers or Wrestling please post on the Reunion pages or you can contact me at 

Monkstone

12 Houghton Ave

Cullercoats

Tyne-Wear

ne30 3nq

A little bit about my wrestling Years I started in 1963 and worked as a Wrestler till 1976 then I went into Promoting.

I also enjoyed my time in the Wrestling booths, We are still involved in the Fairgrounds and still Promote Events, and also have an Event Medical Service.

So please Post all your Pictures, Posters and Stories on the British Wrestlers Reunion page.

And help Frank make it the no1 Wrestling page in the UK.

--

March 22, 2010 at 4:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

anonymous

rik_sands@yahoo.com at March 10, 2010 at 7:26 AM

:cool:Hi there guys I have just returned from 7 years in Cyprus and found the site when I asked Frank to get me in touch with The Killer Kowalski, which he did and I spent last Sunday having Sunday Roast with John and his Wife Mary. The Killer and I did loads of stuff together not only with me promoting Matches but in my Fabric Business. I had a shop at Southampton and another at Bognor, so JK would help me unload a ton and a half of material in say Waterlooville in a hall then I would sell it all day and come back once a month. We had some fun doing it as well, we were at Bognor in a church hall at Bersted and I found a rusty Racing bike behind the hall. I chucked in the van when we had loaded up and went his house in Cowplain. There I presented this bike to Killer's son Robert at 11 years old, he is now in the England Cycle Racing Team and has been to 2 Olympics so far and won the Silver in the World Championships, look out for Rob Hayles. Roy Mr Big Parkes got me started Wrestling as I used to teach 2 of his 7 kids Judo, I had 4 Judo Clubs in the Feltham Badfont area and one at Thames TV at Teddington for 9 years. Then I met Steve Veidor when he opened his pub The Valient Knight in Hampton Hill and used to look after it when him and Jenny went on hols. He then bought the F.B.I. Club that I had been on the Door for 3 years and worked the door for him for 5 years. Andre the Giant, Brian Maxine and lots of the lads would drop in on the way passed when they had finished a Show. I did some promoting mainly for Charities, we raised £1500 for the Falklands Fund, thats how long ago it was. We did a great one at The Star and Garter at Richmond hill where the injured servicemeb go. Steve Veidor was the captain of the London Team and The Killer Kowalski was captain of the South team. Harry Gibb the World famous Boxing Referee presented Steve with the belt, we raised £750 thats 30years ago. Love to get in touch with, Kinkers,Jim Martell, Reg Trood, Johnny Winters, Ray Luxford.all the best Rik Judo Sands.

Hello,

I am Jim Martells grandaughter Lucy, I was searching for information on my grandads wrestling days and came across your blog. Unfortuatly my grandad passed away last July due to cancer. I know he would of been keen to get in touch with you as my dad remembers him talking about you and seeing you on some of his wrestling posters. I would be keen to know any of the memories you shared together. I hope you are keeping well.

Kind regards,

Lucy.

October 16, 2010 at 5:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Forearm smash

Hello everyone,my name is Peter.

I grew up as a young lad watching all our great wrestlers at various venues.In those days i waited for hours & collected all their autographs,sadly lost after being burgled!

When asked who my favourites were i normally say, Sid Cooper & Steve Logan,hard opponant's in their own right.....

I look forward to making some friends on here & attending the next reunion.

Regards,

Peter.

November 6, 2010 at 4:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.