British Wrestlers Reunion
Strengthening the Ring of Friendship

'

Forums Corner

Forum Home > British Wrestling through the ages > The Great British Wrestling Venues

Dennis Lord

Still looking for information on Wrestling Venues around the UK

anyone one with any good Pictures posters or Stories,  It may have been the first time you saw your favourite Wrestler,the first wrestling show you ever went to. You may have met your Partner there.

Please post and share with Wrestling friends around the World.

all the best Dennis Lord.

--

March 18, 2010 at 3:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian

Not quite sure if it was classed as a great venue, but I used to watch wrestling at the Wirrina Stadium in peterborough in the 1970's.

That's where I was first introduced to the Great British wrestling, and still love today and have fond memories of those Glory years as they used to show on World of Sport.

I was very fortunate to meet and watch some of the Great British Wrestlers of that era, I will never forget them, the Great Entertainers.
The Wirrina is still standing, in it's grounds off Bishops Road in Peterborough. It has been closed for a number of years now, and stands alone in one of the city's car parks.

Some parts of the building have since been removed and demolished, but the main building still stands.

It would be nice to hear if any other wrestling fans remember the Wirrina and the Great Wrestlers who battled inside it's walls.

March 19, 2010 at 8:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dennis Lord

Ian at 08:50PM on Mar 19, 2010

Not quite sure if it was classed as a great venue, but I used to watch wrestling at the Wirrina Stadium in peterborough in the 1970's.

That's where I was first introduced to the Great British wrestling, and still love today and have fond memories of those Glory years as they used to show on World of Sport.

I was very fortunate to meet and watch some of the Great British Wrestlers of that era, I will never forget them, the Great Entertainers.
The Wirrina is still standing, in it's grounds off Bishops Road in Peterborough. It has been closed for a number of years now, and stands alone in one of the city's car parks.

Some parts of the building have since been removed and demolished, but the main building still stands.

It would be nice to hear if any other wrestling fans remember the Wirrina and the Great Wrestlers who battled inside it's walls.

Hi Ian

Great post I am sure lots of the Reunion friends will rember Peterborough as a Great Wrestling Venue.

so everyone keep putting your posts to share with Wrestling friends around the World.

all the best Dennis Lord

--

March 20, 2010 at 3:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dennis Lord

The" New St James Hall Newcastle" was the best Venue in the North before it's Closure,

A great book to read is Headlocks & Handbags tells the Story of the Hall from the Start,

and all the Great Wrestlers who Wrestled there.

--

March 21, 2010 at 4:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony

Fairfields Halls in croydon was a nice place to go and see wrestling.

There was 2 older gentlemen at the top of the main stairs who always kept order,nice blokes.and good memories.

Catford town hall was another good venue,Ive seen that place packed,standing room only at the back.

Pickets lock was another nice place to watch grappling.

The royal Albert Hall and Wembley will probably be the best venues for the wrestlers,but for me as a fan it has to be Croydon.

The wrestlers would make there entrance from the top of the stairs and walk down the isles (amazing)as a lad,

I can also remember as a lad going to see an show in wales,I drove down there with John Harris (mc) in a lorry.

Helped put the ring up and met Big Daddy and haystacks back stage then came back south with the ring and a few

wrestlers who needed a lift back to london.

Amazing when i think about it.

March 31, 2010 at 8:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

rik_sands@yahoo.com

:DIn my early years Dad took me to Ironmonger Row Baths, where the likes of Jack and Domonic Pye, Flash Barker and Dr Death were. As a young'un it was fantastic and I think from then on I wanted to find out all about fighting arts. The big one of course was The Albert Hall and to see in action the mighty Tiger Joe Robinson, who in my mind at the time, being Blonde, Handsome and Tall could have been Tarzan. His statue is still in  my mind today, he really looked the 'Business, he then went on to appear in the Film The Rad Balloon. His brother Doug ran a Gym in London where he trained a lot of Celebrities in mainly Judo. ie, Benny Hill and the very famous Honour Blackman for her part in the 'Avengers'. The third venue was Acton Town Hall where in later years I saw British Champion at the time Tony St.Clair, Johnny KIncaid. My connection with Acton, (where Adam Faith and Matt Munro come from) was through my Dad who was thier Boxing Champion and as a Railwayman was based there. Tuesday evenings Summer and Winter the Railway booked Acton Town Swimming Baths for thier workers, my Dad and I would cycle from Heathrrow (Cranford) to Acton 14 miles to swim and play polo for 3 hours, and cycle 14 miles back. I wonder how many kids would do that now, when they get Mum to take them to School round the corner. The last being the Fairfield Halls Croydon, when Steve Viedor fought there one of the last times, Lord Alfred Hayes came over from America and Steve and the lads went to have a drink with him in the Hotel nearby. Later on I was to Referee Jimmy White and Ronnie Osulivan in a Snooker match infront of 1700, it only supposed to hold 1400 at Fairfield Halls, with John Virgo doing his Trick Shot act to finish with. My Dad was dissapointed when I didn't follow him into Boxing but I think I made up for it with my four Judo Clubs and my Wrestling shows.   Fond memories from yesteryear   Rik Judo Sands.

April 5, 2010 at 4:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dennis Lord

To all members

I get asked alot about wrestling venues around the UK but most of my memories are of the halls in the North

and by that I meen North of Leeds.

So it would be great if members and friends could add their stories of the great wrestling venues.

It could be Civic Halls, Holliday parks, working mens clubs,  there were lots of different types of venues

Now they all seem to be Sports Halls,  and as I am sure a lot of friends will agree they don't have the same feel about them.

There were the big Halls when the lights went down and the Ring light went on you could not see across the Ring for the smoke!!!!.

So please get posting and share your memories before they are lost for ever.

If you have any Pictures,Posters or Stories  send them to Frank at the Reunion site

all the best Dennis Lord.

--

April 18, 2010 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Allan Best

King's Hall,Belle Vue Manchester.I haven't been to all the great halls but that must stand amongst the greatest.The arena was ideally suited to wrestling and the atmosphere before the first bout was electric.Lights dimmed and ring illuminated ,down the isle to the strains of "Roll out the barrel" would stride "Dick the Dormouse"(after fifty years his surname name escapes me)the referee, clad in immaculate whites  and chewing goodness knows what.On would come the first boutm,alwaysa  top liner,and  off we went to a great evenings entertainment.

Amongst others that I enjoyed were Pat Curry,Bert,of course,The Angel,Jack Pye,a regular,Primo Carnera,Bernard Murray,Chief Thunderbird,Henri Deglane  and so on to put you to sleep.

I visited St James, Hall in 1946 on a weekend from army camp  memory is vague but it had a great reputation.

Allan Best

--

April 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian

It's a very sad week for me. The old wrestling venue in Peterborough, the Wirrina which has stood empty for a number of years has finally been reduced to a pile of bricks and rubble.

I enjoyed many happy times watching wrestling in the 70's there, and it's very sad to see it finally demolished.

I will always remember it though, as well as the wonderful bouts I enjoyed there.

October 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.