British Wrestlers Reunion
Strengthening the Ring of Friendship

'

Forums Corner

Forum Home > British Wrestling through the ages > Mal Sanders.

Terry Christie

Mal Sanders turned Professional Wrestling in August 1977 and he was trained by The late Mike Marino also he made his debut at Reg Maxwell Hall in Aylesbury against Steve Grey and he was at one time,a blue eye and nine years he became a heel who breaking the rules against Danny Collins in 1986.Two years later on Saturday October 8th 1988 at The Spa,Bridlington in Yorkshire to take on Ironfist Clive Myers for ITV Sport and when Mal got out the ring and he is having a go at The late Kent Walton with Mal pushed him hard & Kent Shoved him back hard and Mal lost his temper and he is sent back to The Dressing Room.

Mal Sanders is The Mouth of The South from Morden in Surrey and he is The Great Professional Wrestler icon.

Terry Christie,from Sunderland,Tyne & Wear.

May 18, 2014 at 5:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dreadedpickles@yahoo.com

If you watch some old bouts from the early '70s at the Fairfield Halls, Croydon, you'll see Mal sitting in the front row, watching and learning from the live action.

I put on some shows in the 80's and 90's, mainly subbing with Dale Martin, and later put one on with Brian Dixon All-Star promotions at the Elephant and Castle Leisure Centre, in London. 

I remember Brian sending meto Lewisham Hospital to pick up the posters and flyers from a charming lady whom I mistakenly (at the time) thought was Mal's other half.  It turned out she was his manager, this was around 1991.

I mentioned this to Mal at the reunion in 2011 and we had a good laugh about it.

A really nice genuine guy, played his part in the last golden years of the grapple game, and took some real stick from McManus and Rocco at the Royal Albert Hall if I remember rightly in the late 70's early 80's.

Looking forward to shaking your hand again on Aug 10 Mal.  All the best.

June 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.