British Wrestlers Reunion
Strengthening the Ring of Friendship

'

Forums Corner

Forum Home > British Wrestling through the ages > Sticky: Wrestling Chat

Ken Sowden
Site Owner

This section of the website is for all members to comment on anything to do with British Wrestling, whether it be to discuss particular wrestlers, venues, your favourite bills of yesteryear or to ask fellow members that all important question that you have been wanting to know the answer to for years.  Join in, post your thoughts and comments etc and lets start some interesting debates on this page.  

July 16, 2013 at 5:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

anthony williams

Can anyone tell me the names of all the wrestlers who were on the very first televised bouts ( just the first). Thanks

--
August 17, 2013 at 6:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken Sowden
Site Owner

anthony williams at August 17, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Can anyone tell me the names of all the wrestlers who were on the very first televised bouts ( just the first). Thanks

Hi Anthony and thank you for your message.  The first broadcast on itv was on the 9th November 1955 from West Ham Baths and the matches were:-

Mike Marino versus Francis St Clair Gregory

Cliff Beaumont versus Bert Royal

We hope that this answers your question.

August 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Emma Yearsley

I'm wondering if someone could help me with this please.....I'm looking to find the match where at the end they announced my dad's passing (John Henry Yearsley). He passed in January 1980 and his last taped match from what i can see was on 9th January. Thanks for any help :)

August 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Christie

For many years I have been a great fan of Johnny Yearsley since 1972 when I was eight years old and now I am 50 when I was watching Professional Wrestling on ITV's World of Sport and he wrestled with Les Kellett,Johnny Czeslaw,Steve Veidor,Johnny Kwango,Johnny Kincaid,Billy Two Rivers,Lee Bronson and with the great tag partnerships of Big Bruno Elrington & Brian Maxine he joined Dale-Martin Promotions with the famous venues including The Royal Albert Hall,London,Epsom,Bognor Regis,Brent Town Hall,Wembley,Aldershot,Leyton,Newbury,Walthamstow,Banbury,The Woodville Hall,Gravesend,Southend,Hemel Hempstead,Barking,Brighton,Woking,St'Albans,Croydon,Catford and Slough.

The Great Wonderful Memories of Johnny Yearsley,True icon of British Professional Wrestling.

Terry Christie,from Sunderland,Tyne & Wear.

April 6, 2015 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bumperlady

I would love to know if anyone on the forum has ever met Adrian Street, and if so, what was he like? He is my all time favourite wrestler, and i've forever wanted his autograph since i was a young girl, but never got the chance.

April 6, 2015 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jpduck

Terry Christie at April 6, 2015 at 10:03 AM

For many years I have been a great fan of Johnny Yearsley since 1972 when I was eight years old and now I am 50 when I was watching Professional Wrestling on ITV's World of Sport and he wrestled with Les Kellett,Johnny Czeslaw,Steve Veidor,Johnny Kwango,Johnny Kincaid,Billy Two Rivers,Lee Bronson and with the great tag partnerships of Big Bruno Elrington & Brian Maxine he joined Dale-Martin Promotions with the famous venues including The Royal Albert Hall,London,Epsom,Bognor Regis,Brent Town Hall,Wembley,Aldershot,Leyton,Newbury,Walthamstow,Banbury,The Woodville Hall,Gravesend,Southend,Hemel Hempstead,Barking,Brighton,Woking,St'Albans,Croydon,Catford and Slough.

The Great Wonderful Memories of Johnny Yearsley,True icon of British Professional Wrestling.

Terry Christie,from Sunderland,Tyne & Wear.

I remember meeting Adrian Street on several occasions when he fought in Scotland. My Mum was an avid fan and I started going along with her and my disabled sister. All the wrestlers were vety thoughtful when they knew we were in and most of them would make a point of coming out to say hello and stay and talk for a while. Adrian Street was no exception and he would always come out to see us and talk like all the others. So in answer to your query he was a perfect gentleman.
October 17, 2015 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mark

I well remember as a young lad an evening back in 1973 at the Brent Town Hall in Wembley and i had my brand new copy of the Joe D'orazio/Pam Edwards Who's Who Of Wrestling and eager to get the first Autograph in it and who should come into the Bar but the one and only Adrian Street.I remember how nervous i was as i went up to him and to my joy, he was a real gentlemen and signed many others as well. They say never to meet y

our heroes but i'm so glad i did.

Adrian Street was the very first Autograph i got in my Pam Edwards/Joe D'Orazio book of Wrestling back in 1973 at the Brent Town Hall in Wembley.He was a real gentlemen,as were all the others over the years that took the time to stop and sign for me. They include Tony 'Banger' Walsh, Sid Cooper, Tony St. Clair, Bobby Barnes.Terry Rudge and Johnny Saint to name just a few. They say that you should never meet your Heroes, but i'm so very happy that i did.

November 18, 2015 at 11:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.